A lot of exciting news today surrounding the Mega Man Legends 3 Project. Their first fan-interaction poll is up, where fans can vote on which design will be utilized for their new female character, tentatively called “Lilly.” Nine experienced Rockman series artists each submitted a design utilizing an official character biography from the DASH3 planning team as a reference. Who is this Lilly?
From Capcom Japan’s Site for the New Heroine Design Competition:
Lilly (temporary name) New Heroine 14 Year Old Girl
*Her final name will be determined after the design is selected.
First person pronoun of choice: Watashi (this could change)
- Seeking excitement, she hangs out with ________ and has become something of a team idol.
- Her rather stubborn attitude contrasts with her adorable appearance. She stands just a bit shorter than Roll or Tron.
- Even though she doesn’t have any particular special skills, she’s very cheerful and positive. She usually acts a bit absent-minded, and her frequent (!) carelessness tends to stand out. There’s quite a bit she’s not very knowledgeable about.
- She often gets frustrated by the indecisiveness of _____. Her expectations towards _____ and the gang are far from reality.
- Once she witnessed the incredible mobility and speed of _____, she could feel the excitement welling up in her chest.
- She takes on the role of spotter for _____, but unlike Roll, she’s not very reliable. Her mistakes and carelessness invokes the fury of _____, but the other members always smooth things over.
The heroine’s lines:
“A~ll right! I’ll do my best to spot for you!”
“We’ll pu~lverize those two teams!”
“Didn’t I tell you that _____ was dangerous!”
“I won’t leave _____ behind!”
Lilly (if that winds up being her name) seems to be the air-headed cheerleader type for whatever this seemingly new group is. Her choice of personal pronoun may seem strange to those of us in English who for the most part use “I”, but in Japanese your choice of how you refer to yourself can say a lot about you. “Watashi” is fairly standard, not especially effeminate or tomboyish, and polite but not overly polite. This word choice might change depending on the style the character grows into.
And now that we know a little bit about her, what do you think she should look like?
9 Comments to "Newest Legends Character: Lilly?"
You can follow all the replies to this entry through the comments feed
I’ve already voted for #2, though I think Sensei’s design is in the lead right now. They all look nice to me, but #2’s design caught my eye right away.
Interestingly enough, I was having a hard time deciding between #2 and #6. Ultimately, I ended up voting for #6. I also really liked #5, as well.
I ended up voting for #2, Hideki Ishikawa’s design. I like it because it’s very different from any other character so far, and since she doesn’t work in the field but rather as a Spotter like Roll, her dress isn’t so much a problem, and she looks kinda “idol-like”. She also comes across as someone who would have unreasonably high expectations for others but could maybe be a little airheaded.
I’m a little disappointed she’s so far behind in the polls, but I like Sensei Haruki Suetsugu’s design too, so it’s not so bad.
For the Japanese polling side, you have to leave a comment for the design you’re voting for. I like that, since a lot of people are rather torn or wish to mix and match elements from other designs, they can give that feedback as they’re voting. “This face on that dress!” I guess the US side has that too with the official thread, though. Albeit just a little less orderly.
I’m a little disappointed they didn’t do that, but I supposed most of the time explanations for a choice might just be “I think it looks better” or something, though in the end I guess it all boils down to that. But I do wish there was a better way to talk about mixing features of the characters. I like Ishikawa’s but I think she could maybe look a little happier, for example.
I voted for Higurashi’s design. the bunny like appearance was just too cute. I mean, just look at that adorable expression on her face. she’s all like, :<
But im glad Sensei's doing good too. "Tomahawk Gal" and Higurashi's are my 2 top favorites. whichever one of them wins, ill be happy! And by the looks of it, Sensei's in the lead.
Just wanted to add that my affiliate the Mega Man Network has an alternate translation up! That I guess they actually posted before mine. Foiled again! That’s okay though, always good to have a second opinion!
7. 3 looks like Misty from Pokemon. 2 looks pretty cool, but that skirt is a little too poofy. 4 looks kinda mean, 1 looks dumb. 4 looks lame, 5 looks like Dawn from Pokemon, 9 is just stupid, and 8 is just silly.I gotta admit, each of these girls looks like her own character. Maybe the designs that aren’t chosen could appear as NPCs? After all, I reuse my scrapped character designs. A great example would be Minuette, my new Megaman OC. Her name is a combination of the musical term minuet and the word pirouette. She was supposed to be for my non-fanfic story AstroQuest, and she was supposed to be more robotic-looking, with a more robotic voice. Now she’s a robot of unknown origins, possibly extraterrestrial. She has short, straight white hair, blue eyes, and she wears white armor, but also a white fabric skirt with it. She has glowing blue details on her armor, mostly around her hands and feet, but there is also a large one on her chest. When not in armor she wears a white dress. She does not wear a helmet, and she has less armor than most robots. She has the ability to create and throw chakrams ( a sort of ring-shaped throwing weapon) made of a glowing blue energy. She also has built-in roller skates. Yes, you read that right, roller skates. The wheels appear and disappear at will, and are made of the same energy as her chakrams. The wheels have a second mode, in which they are larger and instead of two wheels per foot, it’s one big wheel per foot, about the same size and shape of her chakrams. She uses them for crazy kick attacks, although she can kick pretty hard normally. The special wheels only slow her down a little bit, as she is still very fast and agile.But back when she was going to be a character for AstroQuest, she was more robotic, with white skin instead of pale skin, her eyes looked less like human eyes and more like lights, and her voice was to be more robotic. She appears in Homebound, a Megaman fanfic starring Base and my new OC, Lazasha, or Blades Woman. I’ll talk about her another day. But other characters have been recycled, such as Janet, a minor character in my Minecraft stories. She uses a slighty changed version of Reyna’s (another Minecraft character) original design, exept her outfit is gray with black stripes instead of Reyna’s leopard print, and it’s a dress instead of a shirt and skirt. She also has different shoes, and her eyes are green instead of gray. And the Secret Society and their enemies, the Dark Society from AstroQuest, were part of a project that me and my friends did two years ago but never finished. ( My replies tend to be a little long, but I’m very talkative IRL.)
All of these girls exept for 1 and 2 look like pilots or mechanics of some sort. 7 (my fave) even has wing-shaped hair!